Our updated inclusive and accessible event guidelines were reviewed to reflect Australian Standards in accessibility and best practice in inclusive and accessible events.
These guidelines apply to all City of Sydney produced events and events and festivals produced by grant recipients.
The guidelines cover 5 main areas:
- accessible venues and spaces
- opportunities for inclusive participation
- accessible materials and information
- employee attitudes and awareness
- online events.
New inclusions in the guidelines are:
- best practice case studies
- testimonies from people with lived experience of disability
- considerations for online meetings and events.
Making an event more inclusive and accessible includes providing accessibility information on websites and encouraging inclusive participation with features like captions, audio descriptions or sensory spaces. The guidelines have easy-to-use checklists to help event organisers follow minimum and best practice requirements.