1. Venture beyond your local cafe. Sure, it sounds counterintuitive when it’s wet out there, but heading to a new space in one of Sydney’s villages might just ease that cabin fever.
2. Lose yourself in a good book. The City’s library has 9 branches across Sydney and offers reliable respite from bad weather. Membership is free for anyone living in NSW. Bonus: members can access free music and e-books, so after you join you’ll be able to curl up with some top-notch literature at home, anytime.
3. Hate to say it, but you’ll probably feel better once you get off the lounge. Take the wet weather as a chance to start a healthy habit. It’s time to lace up your trainers and check out your local fitness centre.
4. While you’re at it, why not go for a swim? You’re already getting wet out there, right…? See more info on the City’s pools.
5. Take a trip back in time with a tour of Sydney’s historical sites. Sydney Living Museum gives you the key to historic houses and heritage buildings throughout Sydney including former convict housing at Hyde Park Barracks and the ornate interior of Elizabeth Bay house.
6. Go see a movie. It’s the obvious choice, really. Sydney has a wealth of cinemas so you’re sure to find something on.
7. Indulge in some visual treats at Sydney’s art galleries. See contemporary Chinese art (and grab dumplings) at White Rabbit Gallery, then move on to the Art Gallery of NSW for a spot of Monet. Round out your day at the Museum of Contemporary Art. Circular Quay is very pretty in the rain. Or go beyond the big venues, and soak up some art in one of Sydney's smaller galleries. For inspiration, see the latest arts and culture events.
8. Treat yourself to a spot of shopping. Our area is home to sweet boutiques and specialty stores that are perfect for whiling away a rainy afternoon.
9. Shoot some hoops or join an art group. Community centres are the hero of the rainy day, offering a daily schedule of art classes, sports sessions and more.
10. See a show. Sydney plays host to the best local and international stage shows, live music performances and everything in between. See what’s on today.
Think we’ve missed something?
Stay dry, Sydney!
Bonus: check out how beautiful Sydney is in wet weather, as captured by Timelapse Photographer Matthew Vandeputte.
You may also like: