Come and listen to a free public lecture on marine microbiology, as part of The Australian Society for Microbiology (ASM) Annual Meeting, at the Australian National Maritime Museum. The lecture will be delivered by Professor Justin Seymour and Associate Professor Diane McDougald and these top Australian microbiologists from the University of Technology Sydney, will talk about the importance of marine microbes and how they are being impacted by changes in our climate.
Marine microbes are tiny single-celled organisms that make up 90% of all living biomass in the ocean - just one drop of seawater contains millions of microbes!
These microorganisms are essential to the functioning of the ocean as they form the basis of the marine food web and are a part of so many different processes. For example, some marine microbes can perform photosynthesis (just like plants!) and as a result, half of the world’s oxygen production takes place in the ocean. Marine microbes therefore have an important impact on our daily life and well-being, no matter where we live.
At the Maritime Museum there is a strict COVID safety plan in place - see link:
The relevant information states:
The health and wellbeing of our visitors, staff and volunteers is our highest priority and we need your help to contain the spread of COVID-19.
What we’re doing to protect you
• Access to the museum is restricted to reduce crowds and ensure social distancing
• We encourage pre-booking your visit online
• The museum is now cashless – card payments only
• Hand sanitisers are provided throughout the museum
• Frequent routine cleaning is undertaken to ensure the highest standard of cleanliness and hygiene
• We offer free temperature screening devices on request
• We have updated our privacy notice online
How you can help us to stop the spread of COVID-19
• Do not visit if you are undergoing the self-isolation period or have been in contact with someone diagnosed with COVID-19
• Do not visit if you are unwell or have a dry cough, sore throat, shortness of breath, high temperature or fever, body aches or pains
• Please provide us with your personal details and give us permission to provide them to NSW Health if they ask us to do so
• Maintain a distance of 1.5m between yourself and other people at all times
• Downloading the Government’s COVIDSafe app is recommended