There’s something in the air in Sydney right now: and it’s as chic as a little black dress. So lace up your on-trend sneakers and head to these fashion-forward events.
1. Immerse yourself in Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week
Every year, Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Australia brings the most glamorous designers, models and fashion-lovers to Sydney for runway shows and a celebration of home-grown fashion talent. Think Dion Lee showing models in RM Williams boots at Sydney Opera House, or Ten Pieces parading models around an empty Bondi Icebergs.
This year the format is a little different and will focus on resort collections in line with the international retail calendar. Bella Hadid is confirmed to appear and we’ll see collections from the likes of Christopher Esber, Ginger & Smart and Manning Cartell.
2. Be inspired by Margaret Zhang
It’s with good reason that stylist, photographer, and creative director Margaret Zhang appears as part of Vivid’s Game-Changers series: the fashion creative has built a global following and worked with brands including UNIQLO, Swarovski, Clinique and Louis Vuitton. Hear her story and gain tips for your own fashion journey when she appears in Town Hall for Vivid Ideas.
3. Get up close and personal with Daphne Guinness
The style icon is in town as part of Powerhouse Museum’s exhibition Isabella Blow: A Fashionable Life. Isabella Blow is regarded as a powerhouse in British fashion, championing the careers of talented designers such as Alexander McQueen and Phillip Treacy. After her death in 2007 her close friend Daphne Guinness purchased her entire collection of clothing and accessories. It’s a rare chance to see Blow’s prided collection and hear Guinness in conversation.
4. Be wowed by Sydney’s rising fashion designers
See the work of seven up-and-coming designers at a pop-up store on Oxford Street. If you like what you see, put in an order for a little something special of your own. It’s part of a partnership between The Design Residency and Raffles College as part of Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Australia.
- Get creative at the Powerhouse Museum, after hours. The May edition of MAASive lates is fashion themed in line with MBFWA
- Meet fashion illustrator Aldous Massie, who’s worked with the likes of Hermes, Chambord and Burberry, at Apple Store Sydney. He’ll do a live demo and Q&A, and there will be time for you to get feedback on your own illustrations as well.
- Vogue Fashion’s Night Out is a key date on the Sydney fashion calendar. It’s the one night a year where you can shop like there’s no tomorrow and sip champagne in designer stores – keep an eye out for the official date in September.
- Celebrate the career of Collette Dinnigan, one of Australia’s most regarded designers. Her work is currently on display at Powerhouse Museum.
- Snap up a stylish bargain or meet up-and-coming designers at Sydney’s markets. Bondi is renowned for hosting the humble stalls of brands like Sass & Bide before their big break; and you’ll often find pre-owned clothing being sold by the fashion-set at Glebe markets and Kirribilli markets. For eclectic trinkets, Paddington markets are a must-visit.
- After something special? Check out unique boutiques in Sydney’s suburbs, from designer flagship stores at The Intersection in Paddington right through to vintage gems in Surry Hills.
- Support independent artists at Finders Keepers. Packed full of unique designs from more than 200 local creatives, Finders Keepers markets are a treasure trove of local talent. Check them out at Australian Technology Park twice a year (the next markets will be in December).