The John Fries Award is a $10,000 art prize recognising the talents of early career visual artists. Now in its 10th year, the award has established itself as a platform for some of the most engaging and experimental works from the next wave of contemporary artists from across Australia and New Zealand.
This year’s exhibition, curated by Miriam Kelly, brings ambitious new works by ten finalists in painting, sculpture, photography, video and installation. The finalists are:
1. Madison Bycroft (Marseilles, France/Adelaide, SA)
2. Betty Chimney & Raylene Walatinna (Indulkana Community, APY Lands, SA)
3. Dean Cross (Sydney, NSW)
4. David Greenhalgh (Canberra, ACT)
5. Nadia Hernàndez (Sydney, NSW)
6. Jenna Lee (Brisbane QLD/London, UK)
7. Hayley Millar-Baker (Melbourne, VIC)
8. Elena Papanikolakis (Sydney, NSW)
9. The Ryan Sisters (Pip and Natalie Ryan, Melbourne, VIC)
10. Justine Youssef (Sydney, NSW)
The John Fries Award is an initiative of the Fries family and the Copyright Agency in partnership with UNSW Galleries.
Opening night: Friday 21 June, 6pm-8pm.
Saturday 22 June to Saturday 27 July 2019
- Mobility access