A mysterious parallel internet hiding from sight. An immense black market, home of hackers, dealers, conspirators and scammers, where criminals can plan and transact with impunity? Or a safe, anonymous platform where regular people can take back their privacy and communicate in safety?
Join Eileen Ormsby, one of the world’s leading experts on the dark web, to discover the truth behind the myths and hype. Find out who’s really using it and why, whether we need worry, and if it should – or even could – be shut down.
In this free 1-hour fireside chat you’ll learn:
- What the dark web is and how it is different from the everyday internet we all know so well.
- How dark web communities operate and communicate with much greater anonymity.
- What’s really happening on the dark web – criminal or otherwise.
- What authorities are doing to combat illegal activities on the dark web.
- The risks associated with using the dark web.
This free event is for curious people from all backgrounds and you won’t need any technical knowledge to enjoy it. There will be opportunities for discussion and questions.
Eileen is a lawyer, author and freelance journalist based in Melbourne. Her first book, Silk Road, was the world’s first in-depth expose of the black markets that operate on the dark web. In her latest book, The Darkest Web, Eileen’s gonzo-style investigations led her deep into the secretive corners of the dark web where drugs and weapons dealers, hackers, assassins-for-hire and worse ply their trade. Eileen is considered one of the world’s leading experts on the dark web.
Speaker provided by Spark Festival.
Other events in the series