Romance is character-driven genre fiction. Forget about ‘the formula’–there’s no such thing. Like all popular fiction, romance writing must delight, surprise and entertain readers. Romance (in all its varied guises) accounts for a huge chunk of the international fiction market, and even adding a thread of romance to a story in another genre will extend the appeal of that book—as long as you do it well.
In this romance writing workshop you will study:
– what readers and publishers want, expect and love in a romance novel
– the importance of creating believable characters with strong reader appeal
– techniques to structure a plot that will keep readers turning the pages
– how conflict/tension drives a novel, and how to create and maintain it
– how to improve writing elements such as dialogue, point-of-view (and the power of deep point-of-view), setting, and foreshadowing.
– the changing face of publishing, what publishers and readers are looking for, and the opportunities of independent publishing (self-publishing e-books—a huge and fast-growing industry)—and some pitfalls to watch out for.
Member Price: $135.00
Concession Member: $120.00
- Mobility access