Forest Lodge and Glebe share not only a postcode but a long history which has been expertly documented over many years by Glebe historian Max Solling.
Max Solling, founding member of the Glebe Society and convenor of the first History committee, led the first Glebe Society Walk in 1969 and has agreed to lead two more for the Glebe Society Community Festival: this walk in Forest Lodge and a second in Glebe (Sunday 30 June). Max’s prodigious knowledge and his engaging storytelling will make for an unforgettable historical exploration of Forest Lodge.
Forest Lodge was created as a ward of Glebe Council in 1871, named for the 1836 house of Ambrose Foss, chemist and druggist. The name Forest Lodge stuck, and Forest Lodgers are rightly proud of their area’s history and heritage.
Like all places over time, Forest Lodge is multi-layered and complex, with its character constantly shifting and being remade.
Beginning at Glebe Town Hall, the route follows Lodge Street and its lane, down Arundel Street, Short Street, Junction Street, across Bridge Road and along the walkway through Orphan School Creek Gully and finishes up at the Tramsheds for discussion. A handout will be provided on the day.