This workshop by award-winning crime writer Marele Day addresses the who, what, when, where and why of crime writing, be it a private eye novel, police procedural, or psychological thriller. Explore the dark side and find out how to transform the seed of an idea into a compelling narrative that keeps the reader hooked.
Through a combination of discussion and practical exercises we will cover everything you need to know to kickstart your crime story.
Crime writing course outline:
- The rules of crime writing
- The writer as detective: doing the research
- Creating complex characters: flawed heroes and intriguing villains
- Crime scene: the importance of location and sense of place
- Crafting the story: the driving force of plot and structure
- Suspenseful writing: planting clues, withholding and revealing