Event submission guidelines
To be listed, events must:
- occur at a venue or location within area 7.5km radius of the city centre (from Sydney Town Hall)
- be open to the general public
- have broad appeal for people from the local community as well as visitors to our area
- be submitted by the event organiser or authorised agent
- be specific, finalised and confirmed prior to submission. Events with dates or locations yet to be announced cannot be listed.
The City of Sydney is not obliged to list events submitted here and reserves the right to edit or decline any event.
Content submitted, including images, is subject to review by our editors.
Having editors review submissions helps to ensure listings are consistent with our style, guidelines are followed and pages are of a high quality. That means maximum readership for your event.
What’s On lists events that take place in the suburbs below:
- Balmain East
- Bellevue Hill
- Bondi Beach
- Bondi Junction
- Centennial Park
- Cremorne Point
- Crows Nest
- Darling Point
- Dawes Point
- Double Bay
- Dover Heights
- Dulwich Hill
- Elizabeth Bay
- Five Dock
- Forest Lodge
- Hunters Hill
- Huntleys Point
- Kurraba Point
- Lane Cove
- Lavender Bay
- Linley Point
- McMahons Point
- Millers Point
- Milsons Point
- Moore Park
- Neutral Bay
- North Bondi
- North Sydney
- Point Piper
- Potts Point
- Queens Park
- Rodd Point
- Rose Bay
- Rushcutters Bay
- Russell Lea
- St Leonards
- St Peters
- Summer Hill
- Surry Hills
- Sydney Olympic Park
- The Rocks
- Watsons Bay
The City of Sydney (the City) makes some use of website data that directly or indirectly identifies users. We take great care with practices that affect personal privacy.
The staff who maintain and operate the City website are subject to the Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1998 and Council’s privacy management plan.
Data collected by the City
Data that in some way identifies the user is gathered during interactions with City websites in the following circumstances:
It is a necessary part of visiting any website that your web browser provides your machine’s identity (IP address) to the web server so it can address the reply to the correct machine. In addition, the browser type and operating system are provided.
Navigation and clickstream data
Browsing any website generates a trail of the pages you visit and the time apparently spent viewing each page.
Information about people submitting events
To submit an event for publication on this website, individuals are required to provide some personal information, including name and contact details.
- The purpose of collecting this information is to allow City editors to contact you about your account, event listings and What’s On improvements. Some personal information is also required to allow event submitters to maintain an account with the site and to edit their events.
- Supply of this information is voluntary.
- The City is the agency that is collecting and storing the information.
- Information collected by the City is intended for use by staff in the marketing, communications and web teams. The City will only use the information for the purposes for which it was collected.
- Under the Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1998 you have the right to access and change personal information that the City holds.
We seek feedback from our website users to improve the information and services provided on the site. Providing feedback is voluntary and does not in any way affect your access to this website. Personal information may be used to reply to your question or comment.
Personal information you provide when you register for email newsletters will only be used for the purpose indicated for that particular service.
We manage some aspects of your connection to this website using a facility called a cookie, which identifies and recognises the computer but not the person using the computer, when you visit some parts of our websites.
Most internet browsers automatically accept cookies. If you prefer not to receive cookies, you can adjust your browser to disable cookies or to warn you when cookies are being used.
Data storage, use, disclosure and retention
All data described in the preceding paragraphs may be stored and archived for a period that is yet to be determined but is likely to be at least 1 year and quite probably 7 years. Unless stated otherwise, the data is used by the City and staff involved with maintaining and operating the City website for:
- publishing event information
- website and system administration, including monitoring to prevent security breaches
- customising the website to meet user needs
- evaluation, research and development.
Identified data can only be disclosed to the user if the user provides the unique request session number. Personally identified data may be disclosed to a third party only in circumstances where such disclosure is legally authorised, such as in the investigation of a criminal offence in compliance with a search warrant or subpoena.
Users 16 years and under
If you are aged 16 or under, you need your parent or guardian’s permission before you provide personal information to the City through our website. Users without parental or guardian consent are not allowed to provide us with personal information.
If you believe that we have not followed the principles of this privacy statement or would like to comment, please contact:
City of Sydney
02 9265 9333
Terms and conditions
If you browse or access any content or data on our website, you agree to be bound by our terms and conditions. The City of Sydney may change the terms and conditions at any time by putting new terms and conditions and your use of the website is acceptance of those terms.
Conditions of use
As a condition of your use of cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au or any services on cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au, you warrant to the City of Sydney that you will not use cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au for any purpose that is unlawful or prohibited by these terms and conditions or any other terms, conditions or notices appearing anywhere on cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au. You agree to abide by all applicable laws and regulations. In particular, you agree not to:
- use cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au to defame, abuse, harass, stalk, threaten or otherwise offend others
- publish, distribute, email, transmit or disseminate any material which is unlawful, obscene, defamatory, indecent, offensive or inappropriate
- use any automated scripting tools or software
- engage in or promote any surveys, contests, pyramid schemes, chain letters, unsolicited emailing or spamming via cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au
- impersonate any person or entity
- upload, post, email, transmit or otherwise make available using cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au any material that you do not have a right to make available under any law or contractual obligation or which contains viruses, or other computer codes, files or programs designed to interrupt, limit or destroy the functionality of other computer software or hardware
- breach any applicable laws or regulations.
The City of Sydney has no obligation to monitor any user’s use of cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au, however the City of Sydney retains the right at all times to monitor, retain and disclose any information as necessary to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, legal process or governmental request. The City of Sydney has the right to amend or delete any inaccurate, inappropriate or unlawful content.
You will indemnify the City of Sydney if the City of Sydney or its related bodies suffer any loss or damage or incur any costs in connection with any breach of these conditions or any other legal obligation by you or your use of or conduct on the cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au.
Accuracy of information
The City of Sydney is responsible for maintaining the website and believes that all information contained on the website is correct (with the exception of any third party content which is provided to the City of Sydney by other parties). However, no warranty is made as to the completeness, accuracy or reliability of the information and the City of Sydney disclaims all liability and responsibility for any direct or indirect loss or damage which may be suffered by any user through relying on anything contained in or omitted from the website. You must exercise your own skill and care with respect to your use of the website and its content.
Links to other sites
References and links to other internet sites are for informational purposes only and should not be constituted as an endorsement of those sites, the information, views, opinions or standards they provide. The City of Sydney is not responsible for the relevance or accuracy, currency and reliability of information found on those sites.
Third party content
Some of the information provided on the City of Sydney web site is supplied by third parties. It is important all users understand that third party information is not provided or endorsed by us and your legal relationship is with the third party supplier. Please be aware that we have not necessarily checked third party content. You rely on third party content completely at your own risk.
The listing of a person or organisation in any part of this web site in no way implies any form of endorsement by The City of Sydney of the products or services provided by that person or organisation.
With the exception of third party content, all information, text, graphics, photographs, files, and audio/video content on this web site are Copyright © The Council of the City of Sydney. The content is protected by Australian and international copyright and trademark laws.
It is intended for general use and information. Information/files may be downloaded, stored in cache, displayed and printed. Content must not modified, copied, reproduced, or republished except with the written authorisation of the City of Sydney.